1. Collection of Personal Information We may collect the personal information categories listed in the table below. We do not collect sensitive personal information. The table also lists whether we sell the information or share it with third parties for cross-context behavioral advertising.
|Category of Personal Information||Examples||Sold or shared|
|Internet or other electronic network activity information, internet protocol address||Device information, browser type, operating system, browsing history, search history, and information regarding a user’s interaction with our website or an advertisement.||We may share this information.|
|Identifiers||IP address, name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers.||We do not sell or share this information.|
|Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e))||Signature, physical characteristics or description, state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, medical information, and health insurance information.||None, n.a.|
|Commercial information||Records of products or services purchased||We do not sell or share this information.|
|Biometric information||None, n.a.|
|Geolocation data||We do not sell or share this information.|
|Other information you choose to provide||Photos, videos, and other content and information you provide through the services or in communications with us.||We do not sell or share this information.|
Sources of Personal Information
We collect personal information about you directly from you when you provide it to us, automatically using cookies and other tracking technologies when you use our website and mobile applications, and from third parties.
Personal information does not include publicly available information lawfully made available from government records, deidentified or aggregated consumer information, or information excluded from the State Privacy Laws (as applicable).
We use and process the personal information we collect to:
- Facilitate our provision of, and your use, of the Service
- Develop and improve our products and services
- Process and respond to your inquiries and requests
- Provide products and services you request
- Identify you as a user of the Service
- Contact and communicate with you, including for marketing purposes
- Conduct promotions
- Perform analytics
- Display relevant advertising
- Prevent fraudulent transactions and prevent misuse of the Service, monitor against theft, protect our intellectual property or the rights or property of others, and otherwise protect our users and our business
- Comply with legal obligations and defend, establish, and exercise legal claims.
2. Use of Personal Information
We may use or disclose the personal information collected for one or more of the following business or commercial purposes: To fulfill or meet the reason for which the information is provided. For example, to create your personal account at Essity.com or to process your orders.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To be able to analyze your personal data to provide you with relevant marketing offers and information.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or government regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information.
We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collect for different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you with notice.
3. Your Rights
Residents of the Supplemental States have certain rights. Please note that the below rights are not absolute, and we may be entitled to refuse requests, wholly or in part, where exceptions under applicable law apply.
Right to Access
You have the right to access personal information that we may collect or retain about you. If requested, we shall provide you with a copy of your personal information which we collected as permitted by the State Privacy Laws.
You also have the right to receive your personal information in a structured and commonly used format so that it can be transferred to another entity (“data portability”).
Right to Know
You have the right to request that we disclose the following about your personal information, as defined by the applicable State Privacy Law:
- The specific personal information we have collected;
- The categories of personal information we have collected;
- The categories of sources from which we have collected your personal information;
- The business purpose(s) for collecting or sharing your personal information;
- The categories of personal information we disclosed for business purposes; and
- The categories of third parties to whom we disclosed your personal information.
Right to Opt-Out/Do Not Sell My Personal Information
You have the right to opt-out of sharing your personal information with third parties for some purposes, including sharing that may be defined as a sale under applicable laws. You can opt-out of this sharing by clicking HERE or clicking on the “Do Not Sell My Information” link at the bottom of our homepage and submitting a request via the authorized methods.
You also may have a right to opt out of the use of curtained automated decision-making technology.
Do Not Share or Disclose My Sensitive Personal Information
You have the right to limit how your sensitive personal information is disclosed or shared with third parties, as defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act. Currently, we do not collect any sensitive personal information.
Right to Deletion
In certain circumstances, you have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (instructions and description below), we will delete, and, as applicable, direct our service providers to delete, your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your request to delete your personal information if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers, subject to certain exemptions based on your state of residence.
Right to Correct/Right to Rectification
In certain circumstances, you have the right to request correction of any inaccurate personal information. Upon verifying the validity of a valid consumer correction request, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to correct your personal information as directed, taking into account the nature of the personal information and the purposes of maintaining your personal information.
Right to Non-Discrimination
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights under the applicable State Privacy Law. Unless permitted by the applicable State Privacy Law, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services;
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties;
- Provide you with a different level or quality of goods or services; or
- Suggest that you receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
California Shine the Light Law
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits our visitors who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal data to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact Customer Service.
4. Exercising Your Rights
If you are a resident of the Supplemental States, you can exercise any of your rights as described in this Policy and under applicable State Privacy Laws.
If you have an account or are a member of a loyalty program, you can exercise your right to access, portability and rectification under your account pages, where you also can delete your account.
We also have a toll-free number: 1-866-722-6659.
Except as provided for under applicable privacy laws, there is no charge to exercise any of your legal rights. However, if your requests are manifestly unfounded or excessive, in particular because of their repetitive character, we may (as permitted under applicable State Privacy Law):
- Charge a reasonable fee taking in account the administrative costs of providing the information or taking the action requested; or
- Refuse to act on the request and notify you of the reason for refusing the request.
What Personal Information Do I Provide to Verify My Identity?
We take the privacy of your personal information seriously and want to ensure that we provide only you with your personal information. Applicable law also requires that we verify the identity of each person who makes a request to know what personal information we have about you or to delete the
- First name*
- Last name*
- Email address*
- Phone number
In some instances, we may ask you to provide documentation to verify your identity. If this happens, we will reach out to you directly with this request.
What If You Can’t Verify My Identity?
If we can’t verify your identity, we will not be able to process your request to know what personal information we have about you or to delete the personal information we have about you. If we are unable to verify your identity with a high degree of certainty, we will only be able to provide a report with category-level information and we may not be able to delete some of your information.
If you are submitting a request on behalf of another person, we require valid documentation demonstrating your authority to submit this request. This can be a letter or other documentation signed by the Supplemental State resident authorizing you to submit this request.
How Do I Send You My Documentation?
If you submit a request HERE, you must include the appropriate above-listed documentation for us to act on your request. If you submit your request over the phone by calling us at 1-866-722-6659 (Toll-free), you will also be asked to email your forms to email@example.com.
Response Timing and Format
We will confirm receipt of a request within 10 days and provide information about how we will process the request. We endeavor to substantively respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option. Any disclosure we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.